The perfect pair and the perfect wedding.
We all go to several weddings in our lifetime, but not many in a national landmark… My breath was taken away nearly every minute of such a joyous (and gorgeous) event. Two great friends, and college classmates, were married over President’s Day Weekend at my favorite Washington, DC landmark — Union Station!
Our nation’s capitol is truly a magical place filled with history, architectural marvel, and a sense of American pride everywhere you look. Do you know that 32 million people step inside Union Station each year? Yes, that many! Union Station opened in 1907 as a soaring Beaux-Arts masterpiece designed by famed architect and planner Daniel Burnham — it was a key element in a City Beautiful plan to remake the nation’s capital. During World War 2, the station was essential for the transportation of soldiers, with over 200,000 people using this landmark each and every day! Modeled after buildings in ancient Rome, my favorite details about Union Station are the lavished elaborate sculptures, ionic columns, gold leaf, and grand marble corridors — making it the most glamorous and breathtaking sight for a wedding celebration! Congratulations to two amazing people – Delia & Joe, I can’t wait to see where your life and marriage take you! Read here for the NY TIMES feature on this incredible couple — NY TIMES ARTICLE
Here are my favorite highlights and personal shots of the celebration to inspire future brides and wedding planner extraordinaires:
- Breathtaking bride (can’t go wrong with a beautiful bride!)
- All white flowers (my personal favorite)
- Glittery gold (sequin) bridesmaid gowns – the most unique bridesmaid dresses I have ever seen!
- Emphasis of religious/ family traditions in the program and ceremony
- Red carpet treatment in and out of the reception
- Coordinating gold chargers and china at each place setting
- Lively band with classic songs to sing-along
- Cake-cutting with a Marines Sword (the Groom served our great country)
- Dessert bar with warmed brownies covered by a marshmallow, mini sweets, chocolates and tea cups for a warm beverage
Happy wedding planning and wedding celebrating to all! What a joyful occasion no matter where you celebrate!