Basel is a historic university city on the Rhine River in northwest Switzerland. Sitting along the scenic Rhine River, this city is neighbored by the nearby countries of France and Germany. The central location and direct access to the Rhine River make Basel the premiere place to start an adventure up the Rhine with AmaWaterways. Choosing the Rhine River itinerary, our AmaWaterways boat was docked in Basel for the evening before we ventured up to charming cities in France, Germany and the Netherlands. As shared in previous featured travel posts, cruising with AmaWaterways was one of the most convenient, luxurious and enjoyable travel experiences of my life. I highly recommend looking into traveling with AmaWaterways if you are seeking a safe and exciting travel adventure offered on the world’s most beautiful rivers.
Hoping to the make the most of my brief stay in Basel while the boat was docked, I made sure to do extensive research and map out the very best of Basel. Having researched and walked the entire city, I created a comprehensive “Lady Guide” to the highlight the best of Basel. Sharing my personal favorite restaurants, museums, places to see and things a lady must do when in Basel, I hope you find these suggestions and visual inspiration helpful. This guide is aimed to share a snapshot of the great things Basel has to offer for travelers coming through for business, leisure, or perhaps those lucky folks embarking on a river cruise with AmaWaterways.
See below for a glimpses of this gorgeous city as seen through the lens of a lady. At the bottom of this post, please find a complete listed guide on where to eat, sip, shop and what to see when in Basel, Switzerland. For any questions on Basel or my fantastic experience cruising with AmaWaterways, feel free to reach out to Ladyhattan@gmail.com with questions.
LADYHATTAN’S FAVORITE RESTAURANTS + BARS IN BASEL
- Schloss Bottmingen (gorgeous building)
- Volkshaus (casual and fun environment)
- Cheval Blanc (two Michelin stars)
- Noohn (Asian fusion)
- Roter Engel (intimate cafe with the best Swiss soup in town, photographed above)
- Mr. Pickwick Pub Basel (casual pub with good beers)
- Bar Rouge (bar with breathtaking views)
- Consum Basel (sophisticated wine bar)
- Das Schiff (floating restaurant, lounge and bar)
- SUD (music, drinks, scene)
LADYHATTAN TIPS FOR EXPLORING BASEL
- Hit the ground running to find the best Swiss Chocolate Shop in town
- Home to over 40 museums, be sure to checkout the Fine Arts Museum and Basel Paper Mill Museum
- Find the Basel Munster and get a view from the top
- Shop and Snack outside of the Rathaus (Town Hall) and Marktplatz
- Walk around “Old Town” and snap pictures until you reach Spalentor (City Gate)
- Take the Sunday Vintage Tram Tour
- Shopping can be done at Manor, which is an iconic Swiss department store chain with its headquarters in Basel
- You must try Basel-style roasted flour soup and Raclette wherever you decide to dine
- Walk along the bridge and see the love locks on display